Tuesday 18th, was our first day of field, ‘Publish’ with Ray Nicklin.
We were set two tasks to complete by and present on Thursday (tomorrow): the first of which was to create a photostory, and the second was a research task.
After being put into small groups, mixed with students from other courses in CSAD, we were given the task of creating a three-volume, small format photostory. We were told to pick one object and then compose a story around it.
At first, my group chose a mug as our object, but after struggling to make three volumes with this as a character, and Ray suggesting that perhaps a mug was ‘a bit boring’, we changed to a new and better object… an egg. The story that we decided on behind the egg is that, the egg is trying to decide whether to be boiled, fried or scrambled, so each volume shows the process of each of these.
As there was only two of us in my group, a girl from textiles named Kayah, and myself, we began by creating a storyboard to plan out what we wanted on each page of our photostory. We wrote a list as well so we knew exactly what we would need to take photos of. Because we had chosen an object that was unavailable for us to get our hands on in university, we had to take the photos we needed from home. We both agreed to capture all of the photographs ourselves, meaning when it came round to picking the photos to put onto the pages, we had a choice and could pick the best version. Below are some examples of images that we took between us:
After taking and choosing the photos, I edited them all in Photoshop and posterized them all in order to give them a cartoon-like look to them, before putting them all together on Indesign. I added text to only two pages in each booklet – the front cover and the back cover. We wanted to keep a simple effect throughout the booklets, so have used large images, filling the full pages and in some cases as double page spreads. I have tried to experiment in some places too by using a tiled image effect on some pages using miniature thumbnails. I have also added minimal text in a newspaper-style typeface.
Today we did a black and white practice print of our booklet, but discovered that we had not arranged the images correctly on the templates. We immediately fixed this by rearranging the images and flipping some of them vertically. On our second printing – it worked!
I used a scalpel and metal rule to cute the edges off of the printed pieces, then Kayah folded them in the right way. A final slit in the middle of the now folded paper meant we could fold and push them together into the 8-page booklet form.
I am really happy with our final outcomes of our mini photostory booklets. Below are some photos of our booklets all together and an example of one volume in particular.
For the research task that we were set, each group was given different decade to look into and we then had to create a 6 minute presentation about the history of magazines during your given decade. My group was given the 1940s.
Both Kayah and I, researched the decade and found plenty of useful information to write about the era in our presentation, alongside a range of visual examples. The most interesting thing that I discovered from my research was that a lot of magazines and editorials from the 1940s are in aid of promoting the efforts of WWII. We discovered a variety of magazines that were around throughout the decade, including: Seventeen (which is still a popular magazine today), View, LIFE, Look and Star Weekly. Below is the presentation that we put together and then presented in front of the class. From the feedback we received from Ray and everyone, we seem to have covered the decade well and included all the key areas of magazine design at the time.