It was suggested to me in my first tutorial, that I somehow link the geometric horse with the banner in the logo more. I created two versions on Adobe Illustrator which I felt did this.
The first version of the logo that I created simply portrayed the horse jumping over the banner, but I felt that I could improve this as the banner isn’t really at all relevant to the company. For the second version of the logo, I instead rendered the geometric horse jumping through a horseshoe – I felt this this one was more appropriate.
However, my logo has changed again after I having an individual tutorial today with Ian Weir. Although I was planning on using the ‘horseshoe’ version of the logo, Ian made me realise that neither of the logos were quite right – he felt that even the horseshoe didn’t quite insinuate the write thing. He said, as a viewer, the first thing he thinks of on seeing the horse shoe is ‘good luck’ and even wedding-related thoughts. After speaking to him, we both agreed that it was simply not needed and perhaps a geometric horse simply on its own would do the trick just as well and probably more effectively too.
Also, I have been trying out different fonts because I am not happy with the current calligraphic font style I’m using – it clashes much to much with the geometric style of the horse and I believe I need a sans serif font instead. Although the calligraphic style is what my client wanted, I will present them with my new logo that I feel works better and hopefully they will be in agreement. Perhaps I can use a small amount of serif font somewhere else in the touchpoints, in order to keep my client happy, just not in the logo itself.
I have decided to use one of my previously created geometric horses for the logo.
While testing out designs for the first few touchpoints, although my tutors and peers both liked the idea of a purple colour scheme too, I found myself really struggling with my own chosen colour scheme of purple. I started with creating the website as my first touchpoint, but I couldn’t seem to make anything work. I trialled out various design ideas, but nothing seemed right.
In the end, I decided that I would resort to a new colour scheme. I re-read over my client’s brief in order to make sure that I picked a fitting new colour scheme. In his brief, my client makes clear that Young Stallion’s target audience will probably live in rural areas, as they are more likely to own a horse – I took this idea and decided to try out a matching colour scheme, using colours such as orange, green and brown, which I would consider to be countryside-related colours. After designing the opening page of the website, it is already clear that these colours are much easier to work with and my designs will look so much more fitting and professional for the brand.