This week we had an editorial image workshop followed by a typography workshop, both with David. For both workshops, we worked in groups of three.
During the editorial image workshop, we were given an article which we then had to create an editorial image for. The article that we were given was about different forms of hair removal, particularly waxing which it claimed was the most eco-friendly technique. We started by brainstorming ideas through a range of thumbnails. Some of our ideas were: a ‘superhero waxing strip’; a bin full of shavers; a shaver being snapped in half. My own idea was to do a pair of hairy legs, which David then helped us develop by suggesting that we could wax letters out of the hair so it was visibly readable – this was the idea we then decided to go with. I created a large draw up of the idea (below).
The positioning of the legs suggests a clearly feminine and ‘sexy’ pair of legs, contrasting to the hair which gives quite a gruesome look as womens’ legs are usually thought to be hairless. We decided against having a block of text, but instead to use a key phrase or word – we used the phrase ‘eco-wise’, which we pulled out from the article itself.
Unfortunately, due to time restrictions, drawing each individual bit of hair on to the legs (on Photoshop) was very time consuming, and we ran out of time to create the look of the letters actually being waxed out of the hair. Also, we had to change the text to the colour pink rather than white, because the white on white background was unreadable and not distinguished enough from the hairy legs. To match the new pink colour, we changed the colour of the background to a very pale off-white pink, again adding to the femininity. Below is our finished piece.
We were all really happy with the final result of our piece, even though I feel we could have made it better if we’d had a little more time to get the waxing effect on the text right. When presenting our images to the rest of the class, as soon as our editorial image appeared on the screen, there were multiple ‘urghs’ and sounds of disgust coming from the class – this was actually brilliant to hear for us, because this was the exact response we were looking for.
During the typography workshop, we were given a piece of text to use – it was Chapter 1 of Charles Dickens’, Great Expectations. In the same groups, we worked with the text to create our own first page of the book. We wanted to go for a modern, professional and classic look, with a little twist. We decided on the serif font, Bell MT for the title as it has quite an old-fashioned feel about it which works perfectly for an extract from such an old novel. For the main blocks of text, we used Avenir Book because it is simple, clear and easy to read. The ‘twist’ that we wanted to include was positioning the title vertically, up the side of the main text. We added a bit of colour to add to the sense of hierarchy in the piece – the intro paragraph was put in red and in italics, and we then picked out a couple of ‘E’s from the title and put them in red too.
Click here to view (in PDF form) our editorial typography piece that we created.
Overall, the feedback we got when presenting our piece to the rest of the class and David was practically all positive. The only constructive criticism we got was, David wondered whether the small-print text in the top right corner was necessary. The piece seemed to work just as well, if not better, without it – it improved the white space.
I really enjoyed doing these workshops and feel that they’ve been really helpful, especially for my editorial project which I’m going to be starting.