This week we worked with Dave Taylor – we were given a new brief, which was to create a 12-page booklet on Adobe InDesign about famous directors, which was called Legends of the Screen. This was again a very new experience to me, as I never used InDesign before making the specimens last week, so this was the first time I’d made a multiple page piece on the software.
We were given the exact text that had to be included and were also told which page each text had to be included on, just like a real life client would give you, it was then up to us as the designers to decide on the layout and format of the booklets.
We started by experimenting by cutting up different newspapers and creating our own layouts that we think we might use when making our own booklets later on in the week.
From making these layouts, I came up with what I think are some good ideas for spreads, for example, the way in which the image is spread across both pages in the second one. I also really liked the quotes with the big speech marks, which I then went on to use similarly in my own booklet later on.
Next we started drawing out page by page designs of each layout for every page of the booklet. The drawing included margins and guttering which were measured to scale – I decided on a 10mm margins and 4mm gutters.
Once I got onto the computer and onto InDesign, everything started to come together. Of course there were a few minor hiccups along the way, none of which I wasn’t able to solve though. I found that some of my layouts did not work as I had hoped because I had misjudged the amount of text on some of the pages. For example, one of the pages had a lot more text than the others so I had to shrink down the text quite a bit so that it would fit. This then meant I had to change the size of all the text throughout the whole booklet, or else it would look unbalanced and wrong. This was reasonably easy to fix because I had previously set the font’s design by using ready made paragraphs, so all I had to do was change the style of that particular one and it changed throughout automatically. If I had not created the set paragraphs beforehand, this could have been a much more time consuming job.
I tried to create a clear hierarchy on each page, which I feel that I have achieved well. The headline – which is the director’s name and then their D.O.B. – is obviously the most important part so this had to be the part where the viewers’ eye was first drawn to. One’s eye then falls to the image of the director, and then onto the subheading/introduction, and then finally the body text. I have differentiated clearly the into and the body by using serif for the into and sans serif for the body. I also used tint to add to the effect – as one moves down the page in order of the hierarchy, the black turns to a grey and then to a paler grey. All of this is the same on every page.
To print, we then exported the InDesign piece into a PDF to print, as pages (not spreads!). Here is the finished piece in digital form:
After printing the booklet, I realised that the printer that I had used did not do bleeding so the grey on the front and back cover was not all the way to the edges. To fix this, I simply used a guillotine to neatly cut off the white edges, making a booklet with bleeded edges.
Final outcome in paper form: